1. What’s your hidden talent?
Ability to mimic the birdcall of the Gray Shrike-thrush bird.
2. Who is your favorite literary villain and why?
The Queen of Hearts from Alice In Wonderland because who wouldn’t want to scream, “off with their heads” once in a while!
3. You’re hosting a literary dinner party, which five authors would you invite? (live or dead)
Roald Dahl, Emily Bronte, Enid Blyton, David Walliams and Dr Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel).
4. Which literary invention do you wish was real?
Frobscottle – the green bubbly drink from Roald Dahl’s BFGbecause it looks like whizzpopping fun!
5. What are five words that describe your writing process?
Organic, brave, edit, edit, edit.
6. Which are the five words you would like to be remembered by as a writer?
Lyrical, original, inspiring, wonderous, bestselling!
7. Picture your favorite writing space. What are five objects you would find there?
Pretty teacup. writing journal. French doors open onto wilderness. My cat all curled up. A lush overgrown plant.
8. Grab the nearest book, open it to page 22 and look for the second word in the first sentence. Now, write a line that starts with that word. (Please include the name of the book!)
Albert’s nose was as big as a turnip. (The Yield by Tara June Winch)
9. If you could ask one author one question, what would the question be and who would you ask?
Roald Dahl, could you please read over my next manuscript?
10. Which would you rather do: ‘Never write another story or never read another book’?
Never write another story. But that’s an excruciating question to answer!
Vikki Conley is a CBCA short-listed author with eight internationally published picture books. She writes children’s stories that celebrate the spirit of wonder, adventure and freedom that she wishes every child could enjoy. Her 100-year-old mulberry tree still grows at her childhood home. For more information, see www.vikkiconley.com.