Earlier this year Z2 Comics released Superstatea graphic novel anthology written by Blur guitarist Graham Coxon, Alex Paknadeland Hellen Mullanefeaturing 15 stories illustrated by artists including Dave Chisholm, So Lee, Ryan Kelly, and others, all accompanied by a new original soundtrack by Coxon. Today The Beat is excited to present a full story from the graphic novel, “It’s All in your Mind,” featuring artwork by Paula Andrade and Omar Estevez.
Here’s how Z2 describes Superstate:
The Superstate is everywhere, and it’s authority is absolute.
Yoga Town is a city divided. While they wait to leave the earth, the 1% can bend reality to their will, they live in a consequence free world where anything goes. Meanwhile, the masses are pacified by a drugged out, government mandated digital dreamscape while they wait to perish on this dying planet. But there is still hope, for angels roam the earth. With their help, maybe some rebellious spirits can start to make a change.
Experience 15 surreal and disturbing tales of rebellious fembots, celebrity turkey shoots, violent astral projection and an all-new take on the TV dinner.
And here’s the full list of stories and artists included in the graphic novel:
- Yoga Town (Artist: Kendall Goode)
- Uncle Sam (Artist: Eryk Donovan)
- It’s All In Your Mind (Artist: Paula Andrade)
- Only Takes A Stranger (Artist: Anna Readman)
- LILY (Artists: Luisa Russo)
- Bullets (Artist: Goran Gligovic)
- I Don’t Wanna Wait For You (Artist: Ryan Kelly)
- The Astral Light (Artist: So Lee)
- Heaven (Buy a Ticket) (Artist: Koren Shadmi)
- The Ball of Light (Artist: Vasilis Lolos)
- Tommy Gun (Artist: Minerva Fox)
- Goodbye Universe (Artist: Kim Canales)
- Butterfly (Artist: Dave Chisholm)
- We Remain (Artist: Ivan Stojković)
- Listen (Artist: Taylan Kurtulus)
As with all Z2 Comics offerings, Superstate is available in a number of editions. The standard edition comes in both softcover and hardcover versions with cover art by Coxon, while the deluxe edition of the book features an oversized, slipcased hardcover, Coxon’s soundtrack for the book on vinyl, and a set of three art prints inspired by the album. A super-deluxe edition also includes a signed insert from Coxon.
Check out the full sixteen-page “It’s All in your Mind” story, as well as the music video for Coxon’s song of the same name and featuring art from the story, below. Superstate is available from Z2 Comics in all its various editions now.